Tuesday, November 10, 2009

CO SUCCESS IN INDIA!

Report from Paul Biblap, INDIA

In continuation of my effort on SEAPCP Echo workshop- I took the matter to the Community and put effort with various groups (stakeholders) such that CO trained people are given platform to test their skill. Community Care Centers agreed and I took up gradual follow up process one to one basis with the trained HIV positive women and ultimately 7 HIV positive women members took part in peace process organised by all Faith programme. All these people were ecstatic and they felt it was a great day in their life (even though it was very hot day).

Then these women were further trained on how to take up the organiser roles and now they have promised me to use it at their local areas for other HIV+ people. I will come back with further info. Meanwhile, I have tried to link these trained HIV+ women with formal system of Government run centers but I failed. I will start further endeavor in that direction once again.

The best part is that news of our CO session with HIV+ people is getting disseminated in various quarters through their own verbal channel. And results are pouring in! I got invited by HIV+ people from Mahesana district whether I will be interested to organize a CO session for them. I immediately agreed and had series of meetings before the session. Each meeting was eye opener for me and unfolding a good no of issues which needs serious attention.

I found that compared to Ahmadabad echo workshop Mahesan echo workshop is quite different from many accounts- Ahmadabad was urban slum and people knowledge were comparatively better but Mehsana people are from rural areas and they are coming from different background where abject poverty is very common and medical services are of very poor quality. In other words a HIV+ person can access better logistic for health care in Ahmedabad compared to that of Mahesana rural areas. I will try to link echo workshop in that direction also.

I guaranteed of my full-fledged support to Mehsana team but asked for their commitment to implement the learning at ground. I will need to follow it up further and then come back to you after completing the task.

I will develop a small case study and send it to SEAPCP for putting in blog on one of the HIV+ woman who has been doing very good work after getting trained in CO.

regards
Paul

No comments: