Thursday, November 19, 2009

THANAM WORKS WITH YOUTH IN MALAYSIA!

I am still using SEAPCP's CO principles in my work. My role is mainly supporting communities in their CO processes and I am currently working with PGT group (Kindergarten Teachers Association) now. I'm start travel to many places together with them and give awareness about CO and FOI (Freedom of Information) through radio and journalism training.

I am presently focusing on women and young people in different areas like Taiping, Batu Arang, Jinjang and Johor. I'm try to educate them about their basic human rights (especially women's right); freedom of information(the importance of community media in Malaysia and how media is controlled by corporate companies, advertisement companies and politicians) and how they can be involved through CO processes to solve their problems.

We (CIJ and PGT) are organizing a youth Camp in February 2010 to educate them about their basic rights and encourage them to support their CO processes through producing radio programmes and writing articles to newspaper or create own newsletter. Although am not directly involve in the CO processes but I still use the principles in all my activities.

Currently I am busy with "16 days activism - end violence against women project" together with the JAGs (Joint Action Group for Gender Equality). In this project, we encourage women and young girls to use ICTs to create awareness about their rights. For example we encourage them to produce:

Audio programmes - script writing, recording and editing;

Make simple video - using photos, audacity and Windows movie maker software. At the same time we also organize a workshop - where we'll play simple video on how media portrayed women, then ask them to do discussion and produce audio programmes based on that ( what I have learned in the advance SEAPCP CO Course!);

Blogging - we'll launch a blog in Tamil on 24th November where we encourage women to write in blog about their rights and problems.

SMS campaign

Quotes campign


At the same time, I am also trying hard to develop jinjang youth as community trainers and try to involve them in internships and become model for upcoming youth.

My work is totally different from all my CO friends where they are directly involved with communities but I'm not. I'm doing it slowly. I've put my youth training pictures in my Facebook (feel free to see it).

S. Thanam
Community Training Officer
Centre for Independent Journalism


5 comments:

nareth said...

Wow!Thanam, You are so weldone is that work, I can feel. u may spend lot of effort to do that works.

If u could pls share us ur challenges and lessons learnt. That would be so nice to hear those kind of things. Pls take good care of ur self dear friend and all pls do so.

With regards,

Nareth

Thanam said...

Hi Nareth and all friends,

Greeting from me!!! Thanks for comments and support.

Please feel free to join us to spread words about women's rights to ends violence against women.

You can join us with sms or quotes campaigns and visit www.cijmalaysia.org or http://takebackthetech.net and http://magalirmathum.blogspot.com for more information.

Thanks and take care

Paul said...

Hi Thanam:
How are you? sorry for delayed communication. Nice to hear that you are at the centre of so many activities.

I feel you are targetting a very importnat section - the youth for the CO process. The problem is that once they trianed they perfrom very well for first few weeks/months but it is very hard to keep thier interest intact for longer period. The prime question is how to ensure a good income for these trained people such that they can continue with thier learning application at grassroot.

How is Mr. Thanam? regards Paul

Thanam said...

Hi Papa,

how are you? It's nice to hear from you. Yes papa, am agree with your point. Before attend advance SEAPCP i've face a lot of difficulty to approach youths. But after that, i've learn to understand youths mentality before approach them to CO. Thats helps me to get together with these youths. More of them are from problematic family and need attention.

My husband is fine. Take care and send regards to all family members papa.

best regards,
Thanam

Paul said...

Dear Thanam;
Nice to get your reply. pl let me know how you are targettgin the youth and what strategy have you adopted and how it is different from earlier one. i am very keen to learn as my work is very less in this sector.
regards
Paul